Monday, January 28, 2013

Sharpening Those Skills!

Since starting this blog just about a month ago, I have had several people ask me questions about the various different cutting techniques that you find when you read through recipes.  I heard, "How do you know what a recipe means when it says something should be "chopped"?" and "How is cubed different than minced?" and, my all time favorite, "Why are recipes so darn confusing?!"

I figured if they had questions, you might too!    So, low and behold, there is now a new tab on Burnt Toast called, Cutting Techniques Demystified!  This way you don't have to search back through the archives when you want to reference the techniques again - - it will be right at your fingertips at the top of the page.  I will be adding to it as I get requests for new terms or come across some of my own in recipes.

I also provided photographs of the types of cuts to show you what it should look like because just describing them in writing isn't nearly as helpful as seeing the finished product.  I also tried to talk a little about why recipes might call for ingredients to be cut a certain way in recipes, and also how it impacts flavor and cooking time.

My knives have a place of honor on the wall
in my kitchen.  Magnetic strips cost less than $20
and keep knives from getting dulled in the drawer.
On a related note, aside from the cutting techniques themselves, probably one of the best lessons I learned about cooking early on was to be sure you had good sharp knives.  If it seems like the famous chefs on television have an easier time than you do, it likely has a lot to do with the fact that their knives are always sharp!  You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a really decent knife and it will make cooking so much easier.  I was absolutely amazed when my husband bought me my first good Chef's knife (Thanks Honey!) at how much better at cutting I became.  It might not seem like it would matter that much, but having a sharp knife made all the difference.


Please send your ideas, suggestions and inquiries to: framework1005@gmail.com. I will try and answer as many of them as I can!  

No comments:

Post a Comment